Come join Driptech, a for-profit, impact-focused, high-visibility startup selected as a 2012 Technology Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, named by BusinessWeek as one of the world's most intriguing new companies, and voted by its readers as one of the top 5 most promising social ventures in America.
Driptech is laser-focused on making affordable irrigation technologies for small-plot farmers in developing countries. Our early-stage, VC-funded, Mountain View-based venture is scaling up for high-volume commercial rollouts in India and China. By joining the Driptech team you will be part of a compelling social venture that aims to produce a global impact.
Driptech is seeking a Director of Product Design, based in our India office. This position requires the desire and ability to lead Driptech’s product development efforts for our affordable irrigation systems. It will require demonstrated design skills, engineering and manufacturing experience, and leadership at all phases of the product development process. This role will manage an international team, and must have a track record of outstanding project successes.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated process for discovering insight, success developing physical products, and experience on projects involving rural communities or in regions of economic development. Most importantly, the position requires standout leadership skills, and the ability to coordinate, motivate, and energize a multi-disciplinary team.
1. Lead new product design efforts for affordable irrigation equipment and accessories
2. Perform need-finding, and on-site customer observations in a number of agricultural communities in India
3. Distill insights from field research and customer feedback. Propose product development initiatives based on these insights
4. Design, develop, and test components for affordable irrigation systems, including tubing fittings, fertilizer equipment, pumps, water storage systems, and installation tools
5. Develop CAD, prototype ideas, and coordinate design efforts with the technical development team in California, and the operations team in China
6. Work with external designers and engineers when necessary
7. Infuse design-thinking culture among Driptech team-members, particularly in areas of need-finding, points of view, brainstorming, and hands-on prototyping
8. Report to the Founder and CEO, work closely with the rest of the global management team
Background and Skills:
• Demonstrated success leading a team through a successful product launch
• 3+ years managing teams
• 5+ years of design experience
• Ability to be based in Pune, India and travel to California and China 30% of the time
• Excellent verbal and written communication and documentation skills
• A portfolio demonstrating successful delivery of affordable and appropriate solutions, and participation at many stages of the design process
• Design For Manufacturability, and experience with high volume manufacturing methods
1. Experience living and/or traveling independently abroad
2. Prior experience in India
3. Indian language capabilities
4. A passion for addressing the needs of small-plot farmers
5. Graphic design experience with marketing and promotional materials
6. Skills in photography and video as media for documentation
Driptech offers competitive salary and benefits packages commensurate with our funding stage. We will also make available support for relocation to Pune, India.
How to Apply: Please submit your cover letter, resume, and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Director of Product Design" in the subject.
To learn more about Driptech, please visit our website at www.driptech.com